I've Moved!



NB: I will no longer be posting on Blogger. You can now find my latest posts at:

JOBANKS.NET

Monday 30 September 2013

How to Cope with Redundancy - Part 1


 

Sadly, it’s pretty much a given that at some point we will have to face redundancy.  Long gone are the days when you could expect to a job for life and yet although we know this to be true, it is still an enormous, often earth shattering shock that happens to us.

As you know if you read my posts on a regular basis, I have coached hundreds of people over the years who have been facing redundancy and almost everyone goes through the same stages (albeit at differing speeds) of the ‘change curve’.

I have explained the change curve in another post, click here, in essence it’s a series of stages that we go through whenever we are going through a major change – that process is broadly the same whatever the change whether is grief, loss of a loved one, breakup of a relationship – the reasons may be different, but the stages the same.
 

With regard to job loss, it’s really important to know where you are on the curve at any one time, because that way, you’ll know that your thoughts and feelings are just a normal part of the process.  When you’re working as part of a team, it’s good to share the curve with your colleagues because they will easily be able to identify you behaviour against the curve (or there’s if the team is under consultation) and quickly identify what stage you’re at.  That then can allow them to help you move through to the next, more positive stage quicker.

Whenever I’m doing a redundancy workshop with a group or teams, there’s always an air of realisation when I share the curve and almost a sense of relief when people realise that their feelings are completely normal.

It’s also completely normal to move forwards and backwards on the curve from day to day (or hour to hour as some of my clients like to inform me).  For example, I had a client who came to me very soon after the announcement that he was at risk and he said, “I know all about the change curve  and I’m right over on the ‘Decision’ bit because I’ve applied for a few jobs and I’ve got 2 interviews, so there’s no need to worry about me I’m just fine”  The next time I saw him, I thought he was a different person, his physiology had completely changed and he look extremely unhappy.  “What’s happened?” I asked, “I thought you were fine!”  “I didn’t get the jobs I went for and I’m devastated, in fact I feel worse than devastated because I thought I was sorted, I’m feeling so frustrated right now.” 

Once we discussed that it was completely normal to feel that way and I referred him back to our first meeting when we discussed the change curve, there was a realisation and he was quickly able to accept that his feelings were quite normal and although he was still unhappy, he was able to see that it wouldn’t last and we were able to put a structured plan in place for the actions he needed to take to find the right job for him.

In summary, facing redundancy is a very difficult but rather inevitable part of life in this day and age, as long as you can recognise that you will go through a series of emotions as a result, then you are more likely to be able to take control of your future and plan your way through it successfully.

In the next few posts, I’ll be  talking more about managing your emotions through such a difficult period, discussing how to put together an effective plan to ensure that you find your dream job – that will include where to look and the actions you need to take - “Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail!”  plus how to write and effective CV and the all important interview skills.
 
In the meantime, if you (or someone you know) are facing redundancy and would like a free, no obligation chat about how I can help you through it and find the right job for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment